Fascinated by the intersection between photochemistry and heterogeneous catalysis as it relates to the ozone layer. Particular interests in volcanism and geoengineering.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University (2018–2021)
P.I.: David M. Wilmouth
In support of NSF1764171: Evaluating the Impact of Future Volcanic Eruptions on Stratospheric Ozone: Influence of Multicomponent Injection, Climate Change, Latitude, and Seasonality
Chemical Physics Ph.D. (stratospheric processes), Harvard University 2018
Advisor: James G. Anderson
Thesis: Volcanic Perturbations of Stratospheric Ozone In Contemporary and Future Atmospheres
Chemistry M.A. (surface science and catalysis), Harvard University 2012
Advisor: Cynthia M. Friend
Topic: Microkinetic analysis of reactions of molecular oxygen on silver, gold, and silver-gold alloy surfaces.
Chemistry B.S., University of California, Irvine 2010
Advisor: Sergey A. Nizkorodov
Topic: Secondary organic aerosol aging and photolysis
- Klobas, J. Eric and David M. Wilmouth (2018). UV spectroscopic determination of the chlorine monoxide (ClO) / chlorine peroxide (ClOOCl) thermal equilibrium constant. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (in review).
- Klobas, J. Eric, Wilmouth, David M., Weisenstein, Debra K., Anderson, James G., and Ross J. Salawitch (2017). Ozone depletion following future volcanic eruptions. Geophysical Research Letters, 44 (14), 7490–7499.
- Anderson, James G., Weisenstein, Debra K., Bowman, Kenneth P., Homeyer, Cameron R., Smith, Jessica B., Wilmouth, David M., Sayres, David S., Klobas, J. Eric, Leroy, Stephen S., Dykema, John A., and Steven C. Wofsy (2017). Stratospheric ozone over the United States in summer linked to observations of convection and temperature via chlorine and bromine catalysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114 (25), E4905–E4913.
- Montemore, Matthew M., Cubuk, Ekin D., Klobas, J. Eric, Schmid, Martin, Madix, Robert J., Friend, Cynthia M., and Efthimios Kaxiras (2016). Controlling O coverage and stability by alloying Au and Ag. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18, 26844–26853.
- Klobas, J. Eric, Schmid, Martin, Friend, Cynthia M., and Robert J. Madix (2014). The dissociation-induced displacement of chemisorbed O by mobile O atoms and the autocatalytic recombination of O due to chain fragmentation on Ag(110). Surface Science, 630, 187–194.
- Klobas, J. Eric (2010). New approach for probing photodegradation of organic aerosols using quartz crystal microbalance. The UCI Undergraduate Research Journal, 13, 7–14.